A mattress happens to be one of the most overlooked components of almost all households. Apart from flipping it periodically, many individuals could hardly be bothered to clean it. This is shockingly so as most normal people spend a third of their whole lives sleeping. Mattresses can with regular usage inevitably accumulate all kind of unhygienic matter such as stains, bodily fluids, molds, mildews and in extreme cases harbor pests like bedbugs or dust mites. Incorporating a regular cleaning schedule of all the mattresses in your home can be an excellent way of removing all these detrimental matter.
The following is a concise step by step guide on how to take comprehensive care of your mattress.
Vacuum your mattress
Vacuuming mattresses can be the ideal way of starting to cleaning them. Apart from other stains, your body can deposit a lot of gooey stuff such as dead skin cells, sweat, and other bodily fluids by the constant rubbing motion with your bedding. Vacuuming your mattress can effectively remove all contaminants that might be loosely embedded on it. It is important to use a clean upholstery attachment to prevent further contamination from the hover you will use.
Removing stains from your mattress
As would be expected mattress stains come in a wide range, but some of the most common include sweat, urine, blood and other bodily fluids. It can be wise to take care of such stains at the earliest time possible as they can be extremely difficult to eliminate later.
· Before doing anything else, fluid stains need to be thoroughly dabbed with a moist cloth and excessive moisture sucked up by a clean dry cloth.
· Use a pressing motion other than circular to prevent the stain spreading to other areas.
· A mixture of baking soda and water can be very ideal for fresh stains. If this is ineffective, try a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and dish soap.
· For particularly stubborn stains use enzyme cleaners, which can easily break up the internal structure of most stains.
Colored drinks stains
Many individuals are fond of lying back on their mattresses, and taking drinks while in that position. Most often than not this can result in the mattresses picking up stains that if unattended can be very difficult to remove. Should you accidentally spill colored drinks on your mattress you can do the following:
· Apply a citrus-based/vinegar cleaning solution to the affected area as its acid can effectively loosen the stain.
· Apply rubbing alcohol to completely remove such stains Utilize a clean absorbent cloth to do this.
Your mattress can also pick up stains that you will not so easily identify. To deal with such occurrences use:
· A citrus-based cleaning spray and let it set for about 5 minutes.
· You should then dab (not rub) the affected area with a clean absorbent cloth.
Deodorizing your mattress
A mattress can over time accumulate all manner of bodily emissions which can naturally give it an unpleasant smell. You can use a mixture of baking soda, which is one of the most effective natural deodorants, before spraying it with a Lysol spay.
Cigarette odor removal
Should you be a smoker your mattress can begin to reek of the cigarettes you consume. To get rid of such smells you should:
· Dab hydrogen peroxide throughout the mattress.
· Rinse it with cold water.
· Use a solution of baking soda to dab it before applying a suitable detergent.
· For heightened effect you can use Lysol spray.
Mold and mildew removal
With the inevitable moisture buildup, a mattress can begin to form molds and mildew. To counteract such unhygienic occurrences you can:
· You should air it outdoors should the weather be permissible.
· Before taking it back indoors, you should try to discover and remove any residual mold or mildew by manually wiping it off.
·Vacuum both sides to remove any residue that you might omitted in the second step.
·Apply a suitable disinfectant to the mattress which will effectively kill any spores that might be hidden beneath it.
Following this cleaning routine can go a long way in ensuring that your mattresses are always in excellent position, and can reduce the likelihood of it harboring pests. This will obviously ensure you and your family if applicable maintain your health and well being for the long haul and also keep your home and especially your bedrooms as presentable as possible.